Tuesday 24 April 2012

Photography Evaluation

Throughout the course of doing Photography, we have done different things from doing different David Hockney shots, and studio shots as well as going out and taking photo's. The camera's we have mainly used are the Cannon 400D and the Cannon 500D as there is many of these and enough to go around the class for everyone to use. After taking the photo's we have done various things from using Photoshop for some of them to edit them before putting them on blogger, but with most of them we have just got them off the camera and then uploaded them to blogger and then explained what they represent and wrote about them.


Different Subjects We Have Done In Photography
  • David Hockney Work - Taking 6 photo's of a location and putting them all together to make one large photo
  • Studio work - different studio sessions such as using lights to capture the light in a photo and make different shapes and pictures with it and also we have done just normal portrait work.
  • Halloween shoot - a few people got done in makeup to make them selves look sort of scary in a horror way, and then we took photo's to edit into a poster for a horror film
Equipment Used During Photography sessions
  • Cannon 500D and Cannon 400D
  • Tripod
  • Photography Studio
  • Photoshop
  • Lights in the Studio
  • Flash Lights 
Places Where We Done Photography


The majority of photography work that I did was produced in the studio for photography, apart from a few pieces which we done outside such as the 6 picture David Hockney work. In the studio we did mainly portrait work of our classmates and then edited them in either black or white or made the pictures more vibrant. In the studio all the equipment needed was there such as camera, a tripod stand, honeycomb and other various lighting equipment. The lighting equipment we used made our photos turn out a lot better in quality, and the Cannon we used in the studio produced much better quality photos then the Cannon's we used when we went out. When we did go out we used tripods and a Cannon 400D or 500D, the main place we did work outside was around Burton Town Center and near the park and church. We chose these areas because there was a lot of nature around the church/park area and also in the town we could capture everyday life and incorporate it into our photos.


Comparing my work I produced compared to work that I did research on, my work is kind of similar, but still is not up to the standard of work that the famous photographers did, to get it to the standard of quality of the photographers such as David Hockney, Rankin etc, I would have to invest a lot more time and concentration into my photography work, try and find better areas to photograph and try to get the best shot I could instead of just rushing myself to complete the work quickly.


Overall I did enjoy the photography work that we did, and it was fun, but it was not really what I expected from the photography side of the course, I thought it would be more along the lines of taking photo's based on what you wanted too, editing them then putting them into a sketch book. I would move on to level 3 Photography based on some of the work we have done, but some of the projects we have done would put me off choosing the course if it was to be continued on level 3. The experience I have got from photography has been helpful because I can incorporate it into other work I do such as Journalism for example. I hope that the work and experience I have done and got from photography will help me in the future with work and that it will come in useful.


To improve on work I have done I could put a lot more effort and time into my practical work, as I only really put a load of effort into the written side of the course and the research side. I would also try and improve my work up to a distinction level by getting better shots for portrait photo's and finding better places to take pictures, nature wise, for the outside section of the photography course.





No comments:

Post a Comment